Needle exchange aims to support injecting drug users not to share injecting equipment.
It aims to:
- reduce the transmission of blood borne viruses (BBVS) such as Hepatitis or HIV
- help prevent injuries or wounds
- reduce the risk of overdose
Needle Exchange @ Pharmacies
Needle Exchange @ Turning Point
In all Turning Point offices and satellites they offer free and confidential needle exchange services.
- They take minimal personal details and offer an assessment of risk, so that the best advice and information (verbal and written) can be given to you.
- You can pick up a range of sterile injecting equipment, including different size needles.
- Used equipment can be returned to be disposed of safely.
- Foil is available if you smoke drugs. This is to encourage early treatment, prevent moving onto injecting, or to reduce/stop injecting.
- You may be referred to other services such as BBV (Blood Borne Virus) screening and vaccination.