Tier 2 – Drug and Alcohol Brief Interventions
What does Tier 2 brief drug and alcohol interventions cover?
- Using the drug/alcohol screening or assessment tools to identify what is going on and what can help
- Advice and information on drugs and alcohol
- Brief interventions to support and help young people identify and make changes in their use of drugs/alcohol and find alternatives
- Harm reduction advice
- Referral to more specialist services to help a young person with their drug or alcohol use and support them to access and engage with that service
- Relapse prevention work to support a young person maintain the changes they make
Who delivers it?
A wide range of agencies and voluntary youth groups deliver Tier 2 brief drug and alcohol interventions. These tend to be young people focused with some drug and alcohol experience and specialist knowledge of working with young people. This includes for example youth workers, counsellors, student support in schools and colleges, school nurses and supported housing workers. There is also some specific options for young people such as Targeted Youth Support Service and the Further Education Colleges in Somerset.
Advice and information on drugs and alcohol to support young people make positive changes